Today is World Children’s Day and to celebrate this I will discuss how awesome children are, whether or not we have or even know children.
- They are cute: They are smaller, have chubbier faces and have a weird way of running. There is something about them being more miniature is something that makes people gush over them. How they look, how they speak and how they act makes people go “Aw!”.
- They say the funniest things: With a lack of understanding in tact or social construct, children say out loud what is on their minds. This results in hilarity. I could list out everything funny I’ve heard children say but it would take forever.
- They are smart: Despite millions of dollars/pounds/euro being spent on educational shows, books and toys to teach kids numbers and letters amongst other matters, they are much smarter than adults give them credit for. I learned this when I did work experience when I was in Transition Year. I spent a week talking to children between 5 and 12 years old and was amazed by what they knew and how well spoken they are (especially the younger ones).
- They have great enthusiasm for life: It’s true to say they are less experienced and more innocent about everything that happens in the world, but you must admit that their ambition to try and discover new things is pretty admirable. If adults had half as much ambition to do good in the world, it would be a much better place.
- They are fun to be with: If you ever get a chance to play with them, you will not regret it. It’s even funnier when children beat grown ups at games such as my then 9 year old cousin beat my then 19 year old brother at snooker without trying or when a six year old girl beat me at Mario Kart on the Wii last summer. It also brings you back to a time when you were that age.
So there you have it! Children are pretty awesome people. It doesn’t matter if you have kids or not, or even if you like kids, they are pretty cool people.